Our student programs are engaging arts experiences with solid educational content.
Here are some examples:
- Students explore the difference between planet rotation and planet revolution by dancing like planets through the solar system.
- Students color squares in a grid to see how fractions make up a whole.
- Students learn about a historical event or a country by hearing songs from that time or place.
- Students learn to interpret character and plot by acting out a story.
Our programs take place:
- In the classroom
- At theaters and museums throughout Greater Hartford
Because Hartford Performs programs take place during the school day, we ensure that they meet rigorous academic requirements. Each program meets both Common Core State Standards and National Core Arts Standards, and has been thoroughly vetted by Hartford Public School teachers as well as Hartford Performs staff. Teachers select programs based on what they are teaching in the classroom as a way of getting students to approach the subject matter in a new way.
Programs range from a one-time visit lasting 45 minutes to five one-hour sessions over the course of a week or more.
All Hartford Public School students in the schools we serve receive at least 2 programs each year. Many receive 4 or more.
In the 2018-19 school year, Hartford Performs provided nearly 796 programs to over 13,000 students in all 30 of Hartford’s PreK-Grade 8 neighborhood and magnet schools.